Matthew Tkachuk’s objective on the 19:47 mark of the fourth additional time on Thursday night time lifted the Florida Panthers to an enormous Sport 1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes within the Jap Convention Ultimate.
It not solely ended what was the sixth-longest sport in NHL historical past, it could have delivered an early blow to the Hurricanes’ possibilities of advancing.
Historical past just isn’t on Carolina’s facet right here.
Groups that lose these marathon playoff video games, particularly early in a collection, don’t are inclined to get well or advance.
Out of the ten longest playoff video games in NHL historical past previous to Thursday’s, solely a type of groups went on to win the collection. That was the 1943 Detroit Purple Wings who have been in a position to overcome a four-overtime loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs and never solely win the collection but additionally go on to win the Stanley Cup.
Apart from that? The opposite 9 groups previous to Carolina all misplaced the collection.
- 116:30, six OT – 1936 Montreal Maroons misplaced to the Detroit Purple Wings in Sport 1 and misplaced the collection.
- 104:46, six OT– 1933 Boston Bruins misplaced to the Toronto Maple Leafs and misplaced the collection.
- 92:01, 5 OT – 2000 Pittsburgh Penguins misplaced to the Philadelphia Flyers after which misplaced the collection.
- 90:27, 5 OT – 2020 Columbus Blue Jackets misplaced to the Tampa Bay Lightning and misplaced the collection.
- 80:48, 5 OT – 2003 Dallas Stars misplaced to the Anaheim Geese and misplaced the collection.
- 79:15, 4 OT – 1996 Washington Capitals misplaced to the Pittsburgh Penguins and misplaced the collection.
- 78:06, 4 OT – 2007 Dallas Stars misplaced to the Vancouver Canucks and misplaced the collection.
- 70:18, 4 OT – 1943 Detroit Purple Wings misplaced to the Toronto Maple Leafs however WON the collection. That is the lone exception.
- 69:03, 4 OT – 2008 Dallas Stars misplaced to the San Jose Sharks and misplaced the collection.
- 68:52, 4 OT – 1930 New York Rangers misplaced to the Montreal Canadiens and misplaced the collection.
Carolina’s Sport 1 loss suits in proper between the 2003 Geese loss and the 1996 Capitals loss.
There are a few issues at play right here for why these groups battle a lot.
The primary is the straightforward truth you misplaced a playoff sport. That alone places you at an obstacle as a result of you may solely lose, at most, three video games in a collection. You’ve got already lower that margin for error down much more by dropping a sport like that.
However there additionally needs to be some kind of human component or psychological angle to it as nicely. You set in all of that effort, all of that vitality and all of that emotion for a marathon playoff sport and you then lose. That needs to be deflating mentally, and you understand it’s deflating bodily as a result of these video games are usually not simple to play. In the event you win, the bodily side most likely will get blocked out to some extent by the psychological side.
Dropping it? That’s powerful to come back again from.
Carolina now has fairly an uphill battle on this collection in opposition to a white-hot Panthers crew that appears prefer it has an actual likelihood to win the Stanley Cup. Not solely overcoming the early deficit but additionally overcoming the psychological and bodily hurdle of dropping a sport like that.